Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Twill by Margaret

Weaving Pattern: an eight harness straight twill, color & weave from A Weaver's Book of 8-Shaft Patterns by Carol Stickler, page 20 - #59.

Color Pattern: 8 blue, 8 red, warp & weft

Yarns Used: warp & weft 8/2 cotton

Sett: 24epi

Width on Loom: 56 ends, 2 1/2"

Length of Bookmark: 7" plus fringe

I learned to weave in college in the late 60's. I was taking a general art course and signed up for the weaving class taught by the Home Ec. Department.

When I moved to Waldron Island in 1972 I brought with me a handmade loom made by a friend. I wove presents for friends and various household items for years, but it wasn't until I was married and moved to what is now Thousand Flower Farm that I started production weaving.

A friend gave us three bummer lambs, lambs whose mothers wouldn't take care of them. My husband wanted to learn to spin, to use our wool and to find a way to sell it that would bring in a reasonable income. So I dragged the loom out of storage and started making rugs from his handspun wool using a cotton warp material. They were an immediate success.

Recently I have added lovely soft scarves from rayon chenille an bright colored rag rugs woven in an old Swedish pattern. I continue to add new ideas and techniques to my repertoire.

I took up knitting because you can't carry a loom around with you and thus I created my line of felted and knitted hats."

Margaret
June 2006
Washington

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home